Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Applications

It was briefly discussed in class on Monday, the influence that computers/technology is having on children’s development. Watching television last night, I found myself paying more attention to the leap frog commercials, in which they advertise that children play their video games (educational) before going to bed. I believe I saw about five different commercials each attesting to how these computer and video games can aid in a child’s learning. This prompted to me check out the leap frog web site. They offer toys for children from 6months all the way to high school. Everything that was found in class, I saw true for the toys/video games offered by leap frog. They give the correct answer which doesn’t elicit curiosity in the child and are not a substitute for the parent/adult as teacher. They offer a parent guide for each toy they offer, stressing the importance of the parent as a teacher, and that these toys are merely to aid in the child development by offering a rich environment. This parent guide also offers step by step instructions on the usage of the toy and what aspect of learning it enhances. I think that these toys can be educational and aid in a child’s development, it’s important that parents interact with these toys with their children. Some of the commercials portray these toys as a substitute to teaching that can be done by a parent or adult. When these toys are used in conjunction with a parent’s teachings and guidance they can be beneficial. Looking at this website it made me wonder what kind of theories of intelligence it promotes. What does the computer say when the child does a good job, or solves the problem correctly? Do the programmers or developers take this concept into account when creating these games?

These toys were also offered internationally and in many different languages. I can see how these toys can be more beneficial to children who don’t receive the same parental attention, potentially children in more impoverished situations. I can see this same benefit from children programming as well. I guess something, is better than nothing. These computer games and children’s programming can offer a buffer to children who don’t receive the same cognitive stimulation at home.

I found it interesting how much research went into the development of children programming, particularly Sesame Street. While this programming can be beneficial as well, I think some parents also take this as a substitute, and plop their children in front of the television. I have seen this happen with the child I have mentioned in previous blogs. She spends most of the day being watched by someone who just sits her in front of the television. Whenever I get the opportunity I make sure to interact with her, read to her, and encourage her to use her words. I have learned a great deal in this class that I can apply to my life, when I’m around children or have some of my own.

Recently seasons of Sesame Street from the seventies have been released on DVD with a warning label stating that it was for adults because content may not be suitable for young children. It is interesting how far research regarding children and cognitive development has come, that past episodes of Sesame Street are no longer deemed suitable.

No comments: