Friday, November 16, 2007

Making Childhood memories

I found the lecture on childhood memories and how children form these memories to be extremely fascinating. I personally do not remember very much from my own childhood except for small random things that really have no relevance. Most children remember events which are extremely emotional such as the birth of a sibling or experiences which they found to be exciting such as a dog having puppies. I feel that since I am a twin and was raised while my mom did day care, that some of these special events that children remember tended to not be as memorable or emotional for me. My family also moved about three times when I was fairly young and using the context-dependent retrieval hypothesis, maybe if I were to return to my old houses I would begin to remember some things that I can not retrieve just simply thinking about my childhood.
My first memories seem to be when I began to learn things like reading with my Grandmother. This to me says that maybe since these times were some of the only events in which I was experiencing something individually without my siblings that they may have been more solidified in my memory. It may have also been that my parents used more of a low elaborate reminiscing style.
Because I am pregnant with my first child I am really glad we discussed ways in which we can help children better remember their experiences. I want to use this high elaborative style so that my child can hopefully make some lasting memories about his childhood which I was not able to make. (Not that I have any animosity towards my parents :) )

No comments: